Healthy Mexican Wontons

Updated: Feb 26, 2020

As many of you may know by now, I have been on my own fitness journey for the last eight years. As my life, my body, and my overall health has changed, what has stayed the same is my love for FOOD! I have learned along my fitness journey that sometimes you need to be creative in coming up with different recipes that are both yummy and healthy, so here is my Mexican wonton story/recipe. I have been making these little guys for years now and thought what the heck, I need to share this with everyone! I grew up in a hispanic house hold in Denver Colorado, with that being said, there is a this super yummy restaurant called The Tamale Kitchen where my family would always get a lot of their yummy food. From tamales (hence the name), to smothered green chile burritos, and green chile smothered french fries, to awesome chicken tacos, this place has SO MANY yummy options! Well another one of my favorite items that they would make is their Mexican Egg Rolls! They are SO GOOD! You can get them with beans, cheese, and Chile, or just get them with seasoned ground beef and cheese. I'm sure you've guessed by now, these fried little egg rolls of yumminess are not healthy for you, so I wanted to come up with a healthier version! That's where my recipe comes in! Below is the recipe, hope you all enjoy and let me know what you think!




What you will need-

  1. 24, Wonton Wraps (found in the refrigerated produce section)

  2. 1 container, Refried Beans - Traditional

  3. 1 lb, 93/7 Lean Ground Turkey

  4. 1/2 tbsp, garlic powder

  5. 1/2 packet of taco seasoning

  6. 1 cup, 2% Milk Shredded Cheese

  7. 12 count muffin pan

  8. Pam olive oil spray

Directions-

Brown the ground turkey in a skillet and season with garlic powder and taco seasoning. In a small pan heat up the refried beans and stir in a couple table spoons of water to help make them smooth.


For the wonton wraps- pre heat oven to 350. Spray the muffin pan with the non-stick spray and place each wonton wrap inside each muffin tin to make a little cup, then place the wonton wraps in the oven for 5 minutes or until brown around the edges.


Once you take the wonton wraps out of the oven, fill them up with a couple table spoons of beans and a couple table spoons of the cooked ground turkey, and top with a pinch full of cheese for each wonton. Place back in the oven until the cheese is melted. Take out of the oven and let cool for a minute and then serve with a dollop of plain greek yogurt and some salsa and enjoy!


Nutrition Facts Servings 8 Amount Per Serving calories 294% Daily Value *Total Fat 5 g7 %Saturated Fat 2 g11 %Monounsaturated Fat 0 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0 gTrans Fat 0 gCholesterol 22 mg7 %Sodium 169 mg7 %Potassium 80 mg2 %Total Carbohydrate 7 g2 %Dietary Fiber 1 g4 %Sugars 0 gProtein 8 g15 %Vitamin A2 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium7 %Iron5 %* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.




For fitness and meal plan guidelines check out our fitness plans page here.

29 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All